Monday, October 28, 2013

Full Quote from the Texas Lawyer's Creed 

When my Texas Bar Journal arrives I turn to the back and read “Disciplinary Actions.”  It’s my monthly refresher course on what not to do.     The refrain “a lawyer shall not neglect a legal matter entrusted to the lawyer,” from Rule #1 of our Disciplinary Rules is repeated time and time again.  Neglecting a client’s matter results in dire consequences and is the stuff of which lawyers’ nightmares are made.  The Creed, however, sets a higher standard than merely not neglecting a case: SPEED.  When I commit to practice in accordance to the Creed, I commit to working “quickly” to achieve the client’s objectives.

The client’s main objective after getting the desired ruling or settlement is finishing.  That means a final order signed by the Judge. The order drafting phase of the case is where cases sometimes languish.  Let’s say mediation resulted in a final settlement, and I must draft the final order. Two or three weeks pass, and then the dreaded “when will my decree be finished?” call comes from the client before I have started the decree.  Ignoring the client’s call is briefly tempting.  There are a lot of other demands on my time, but experience tells me that ignoring that inquiry results in an angry client.

One approach that has worked for me is imposing my own deadline to finish a draft for the client.  If the client calls or emails to ask when the draft of the order will be done, I tell them that self-imposed deadline. That seems to satisfy the client’s reasonable need to know when this step of the case will be finished.  Those self-imposed deadlines to finish orders also help me prioritize my workload.  If I tell a client I hope to have the draft to him by Friday, then I feel compelled to keep my word.   Other work waits while I get that decree done.  If it looks like I misjudged my schedule and will need more time I report that to the client.

When I commit to practice according to the Lawyer’s Creed I acknowledge that working quickly to achieve my client’s objective must be among my goals. I recognize that I am not always able to provide quick service. I must constantly work to improve my efficiency and to move my cases as quickly as possible.  I am far from perfect, and there will be times when the client’s idea of quick and mine will not be the same.  The Creed asks me to keep trying.

Submitted by Zoe Meigs, Attorney at Law
Fort Worth, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment